Sunday, February 6, 2011

Depressed, yet Optimistic

What is this feeling so sudden and new? I felt the moment the clock struck 0:00. My pulse is rushing, the tears are coming, oh what is this feeling? Painful as can be, does it have a name? Losing. Losing. Losing. Losing. Losing.

Well, that was rough. As a Pittsburgher, I am not familiar with this strange emotion called.....losing. I don't like it. I want it to go away. I want to hop in Michael J. Fox's time capsule and change the result of the game. I want the Steelers to be lifting the Lombardi trophy. I want Roger Goodell to be handing Big Ben the MVP award. But, alas, I am being too greedy. I can't go back in time and change the final score. Green Bay played a good game, and unlike the Steelers they didn't have any costly turnovers. Despite the loss, the Steelers still have more Super Bowl victories than any other team in the NFL. They may not have reached 7th Heaven, but they still proudly represent Sixburgh. As my dad consoled my broken heart after the game he reminded me of that fact. And that we still have the Penguins and the Stanley Cup playoffs to look forward to. Like a bad breakup, this loss is going to be hard to recover from, but as a Pittsburgher I know that I can persevere. After all, I've dealt with an entire lifetime of losing from the Pirates. And after being so blessed sports-wise in recent years, I guess it's time that the City of Champions share the thrill of victory with another city. At least until it's time for Gary Bettman to hand the winning captain the Stanley Cup...

...then I would like to be the City of Champions once more.

Glass half full.....glass half full.....

No comments:

Post a Comment