Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Steeler worth rooting for:

I'm sure you have heard the uproar that Steelers' running back Rashard Mendenhall has created with his recent Tweets about Osama bin Laden's death. Unfortunately, "Rush hard" has done a pretty good job of making both himself and the Steelers organization look purty bad. He's certainly not the first Steeler to get himself on a prime spot on the "naughty" list (Ahem, Big Ben and Santonio Holmes). But, I'm here to assure you that the Steelers aren't full of silly gooses. Of course, we usually only hear about the silly gooses that make the headlines for their mistakes. Pittsburgh's favorite football team is full of great guys who truly make a difference in their community. Such as,
A.) The 'Burgh's favorite Dancing with the Stars contestant, Hines Ward. Pretty much everyone in Steeler Nation loves #86 and apparently so do the ballroom dancing star's judges.
B.) Head and Shoulders spokesman Troy Polamalu. Pittsburgher's love Troy's flowing locks and his humorous spots for the shampoo company.
But, now, I have another player to add to the Steelers' list of players on the "nice" list. During the recent NFL draft, the team selected former Texas Tech running back Baron Batch. I have to admit that I dislike the draft almost as much as I like the Steelers. I simply don't understand why it's made into such a huge media circus, and quite frankly, I pay very little attention to the whole thing. In fact, before reading a recent post on That's Church, I didn't even realize that the Steelers had drafted Batch. Although, even those diehard fans who watched every second of the draft might not have realized that Batch was drafted. The running back was selected in the seven round, and he will face a tough path the next few months to make it on the team. But this will certainly not be the first time Batch has faced tough circumstances. Simply take a glance at his blog to take a peek at his amazing and inspiring life story. I can almost guarantee that you'll stick around the blog for awhile. He's a phenomenal writer with a great, big heart, which is very evident through his posts. One thing is certain -- I'll be keeping up with his blog even if he doesn't make the team. In fact, I'm certain that even if he doesn't have a successful football career he will find something positive and inspiring to do with the rest of his life!
Go Baron! I mean, how can you not root for him?
(And you, go read his blog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment